Last week, I helped friend, blogger, and stationary designer, Ellie Snow of Mint and Hello Tenfold, plan out her studio space at Golden Belt. The biggest design dilemmas were 1) providing a floor plan to open up the small space while creating several “areas,” 2) creating a space that functioned as an office, a store, and a meeting place for clients; and 3) assessing the dire need for additional storage. Knowing heavy patterns and lots of color get old quickly, Ellie wanted to keep the space mostly neutral with slight nods to an existing red cabinet. To keep the budget low – and to add some fun personality! – DIY projects were welcomed.
The above photo was my design inspiration. See what design solutions I came up with and what furnishings I selected after the jump…
Design Dilemmas Solved!
1) Using two tall existing bookcases positioned perpendicular to the side walls, a small “foyer” was created up front with a large open workspace in the back. In the foyer, three areas were constructed: an entry table with a chalk message board (painted on the back of one of the bookcases!) for a guest book and business cards; a vertical stationary display made with floating wall shelves; and a sitting area (against the other bookcase backed with patterned wallpaper!) perfect for a client meeting . The back area consisted of work tables, more storage, inspiration boards, and another small sitting area.
2) With the front area serving as the store, the back area functioning as an office, and two areas providing sufficient seating for a client meeting, design dilemma #2 was SOLVED!
3) Ellie already had two large bookcases with glass doors, so I thought, “Let’s mix it up by adding different structural bookcases and more textures.” I opted for open storage with felt bins and rustic DIY storage that could also double as additional stationary display space. More storage? Done!
Here is what I came up with for the furnishings. What do you think?!
1) DIY Pendant Garland OR Sweet and Sophisticated Pennant Garland by Molasses Candy on Etsy
2) Thesi Tarp Chair by CB2
3) Vintage Floor Lamp in Brass by Urban Outfitters
4) Martini Side Table in Persimmon by West Elm
5) Ascot Armchair in Twill Seagrass (or Twill Metal) by Pottery Barn
6) Hand-Blocked Silk Casablanca Pillow Cover + Insert by West Elm
7) DIY Chalkboard ‘Welcome’ Sign OR Spring Laurel & Welcome Tiding by Shanna Murray
8) DIY Painted Entry Table with Brass Knobs (Inspired by Knack Studios)
9) 2.5’ x 9’ Hand Spun Stripe Rug by Pottery Barn
10) DIY Drawer, Wine Crate, or Basket Modular Storage (Inspired by Livet Hemma)
11) Tripod Table in White by West Elm
12) Pair of Reed Zinc Chairs by CB2
13) DIY Wood Table with Black Hairpin Legs OR IKEA VIKA AMON/VIKA LERBERG
14) Perch Glass Lamp in Clear Glass by West Elm
15) DIY Painted Corkboard (Inspired by Ambrosia Creative)
16) 8’ x 10’ Tauna Recycled Yarn Kilm by Pottery Barn
17) 3×2 and 3×4 Rolling Storage in White by West Elm
18) Felt Office Storage by West Elm